A Thousand Beautiful Things



Losing someone you love can be a very painful life experience.
We lost my Mom in 2003, she just celebrated her 76th birthday and had lived with cancer for 10 years.

She was such an important part of our lives and also my best friend. Mom was wise in many ways. She approached her journey with cancer in such a positive way. Many times as we sat together at the hospital waiting to see the doctor or receive treatments, we would see children, mothers and fathers with their families waiting for their appointments . She would always say "Kim, I am so thankful that I have had a full life. I have been given the opportunity of seeing my children and my grandchildren grow. Just look at that family and what they have to contend with."

We were often reminded that "if we all threw our problems in the center of the table, we would take our own problems back". In other words, there is always somebody who is experiencing more pain or bigger life changes and losses than me.

Towards the end of my Moms journey she would ask to listen to the song "
I Want to Break Free" by Queen. By that point, Mom had come to terms with her fate and was as ready as anyone can be to move beyond this world.

Sometimes, we need to find ways to be thankful for our difficult moments, as they can become our blessings or moments of growth. The grief that I expressed and experienced has also given me the opportunity for healing that I believe did and continues to strengthen and enriched my life.



Today, I thought it would be appropriate that I remind myself of all many things I have to be thankful for ~

Family

Health

The magic of a smile

Starry nights

Warm sun touching my shoulders

True friends

Fresh ideas

Music

Laughter

Memories

Hopes and dreams

A fresh cool breeze in the evening after a hot day

The sounds of the sea and the wind

Birds singing


thousands of beautiful things to be thankful for....

Thank you Mom.....we love you and miss you so very much!



6 comments:

BettyyRoberto said...

Hi Canadiangrl, Just saw Zapata blog and others, but had to visit here and was sadden by what happen to your mom. Your mom sounds like a very wise lady, and having her has taught you so much it appears. Sad but true we probably take things for granted, and our life's may not be so bad considering. I am really new at this blogging idea but I am reading each blog now and really trying to understand the story behind each person or couple. I will start sharing soon my experience's, as well. I may do it when Roberto is asleep though :-) It will be our secret :-) Just kidding, he works swing shift, so he comes home and crashes X-( Betty, OR

canadiangrl said...

Betty, I enjoy reading many of the blogs as well and Señor Zapata's is one of my favorites! I recently took the blog plunge - new to me as well. I look forward to following your blog soon. Thank you so much for your kind words.

PDX Man said...

Hi Canadiangrl,

Thank you for sharing this moment in your life. I know you have learned so much in this journey of life with the love you have of your mom. PDX Chip

canadiangrl said...

Hi PDX, thanks for passing by my blog and sharing your kind words.

Clementina said...

What a lovely piece about your special mother. I lost my mother in 2006. My pain was such that I started a Mexican food blog in her honor. for me she will always be La Reina de La Cocina.

canadiangrl said...

Clementina - thank you for stopping by and sharing your story. I am looking forward to reading your blog!

Post a Comment

My Blog List

Followers