Beware......disturbing



Today, I received an alarming email.  This email was "sent" from a friend who resides in Mexico and is in her eighties. As I read the email, I immediately felt worried then became increasingly suspicious...was this a scam?
The email stated the following:


Subject: Urgent need
To: ___________@yahoo.com
Date: Wednesday, September 9, 2009, 5:19 PM

I am in a great sorrow writing you this note, Just wanted to inform you about something very important, i could barely think straight at this point, i hope you come to my aid because something very terrible is happening to me now, i need a favor from you now, I had a trip here in UK

Unfortunately for me all my money got stolen on my way to the hotel where i lodged along with my bag were my passport was And since then i have been without any money i am even owing the hotel here.

So i have limited access to emails for now,please i need you to lend me about $1400 so i can make arrangements and return back I am full of panic now,the police only asked me to write a statement about the incident and directed me to the embassy,i have spoken to the embassy here but they are not responding to the matter effectively,I will return the money back to you as soon as i get home,I am so confused right now.i wasn't injured because I complied immediately.

I will be waiting to hear from you since i can't access the internet always

Thank you again.

A quick phone confirmed that this was indeed a con. She was the victim of a phishing scam. After receiving many phone calls from concerned friends and acquaintances she posted the following message on her site:

Attention: please do not respond to any emails asking for money or wire transfer overseas. They are not authorized by me. It is a Phishing scheme using my email address, since someone has stolen my email account through Yahoo.I am in the process of generating a new email account.

All I can say is, I am grateful she is safe and out of harms way......

0 comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List

Followers