Cold Days and a bowl of Warm Albondigas Soup



Well, the cold weather is here in Alberta.  In fact, we have snow on the ground!

I decided to pull out my big soup pot and make some Albondigas soup.
I thought I would share my version ...curl up and stay warm!


ALBONDIGAS SOUP

 Soup
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
  • 6 cups of homemade chicken stock
  • 1 cup of carrots
  • 1 stalk of celery, diced
  • 2 potatoes, chopped
  • 1 can of crushed tomatoes
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • pinch of cumin seeds
  • pinch of red pepper flakes
Meatballs
  • 1 lb of lean ground beef
  • 1 cup of par-boiled rice
  • 1/4 cup of bread crumbs
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon of oregano
  • 1extra large egg
  • 1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped

Begin by preparing the meatballs.  Mix ground beef, rice, bread crumbs, garlic, oregano together with the egg and cilantro. Form this mixture into medium sized meatballs and place in pot to sear with a touch of olive oil until brown. Set aside.

Prepare slicing and dicing your vegetables.  In the soup pot, saute onions, garlic, celery and carrots until onion is transparent and slightly golden brown.  Add crushed tomatoes, chicken stock, potatoes, bay leaf, cumin, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Allow the soup to simmer for 30 minutes and then add meatballs and continue cooking for another for 30 minutes.

Serve with fresh lime, warm tortillas a cozy blanket and a great book....enjoy 
 

3 comments:

PDX Man said...

I love Albondigas, yummmy!

Chrissy y Keith said...

snow, the other 4 letter word that starts with an "S". I gave it up and moved from Alaska to Arizona. Just a brief stay before heading further south.
Funny, everytime I try Aldondigas soup, it is always watery and tasteless, I shall have to try and make it myself.

canadiangrl said...

Chrissy, I remain hopeful that at some point soon, I begin my movement south and like you, a brief stay before the further south destination.

Good luck with the soup...It always tastes better the next day, but with two young men in the house the pot was empty by the end of day one! Take care.

Post a Comment

My Blog List

Followers